- Contains an integrated treatment of ecosystem restoration at the global and marine scales
- Shows the results of new methods that solve the major factors limiting the growth, productivity, and capacity to resist severe environmental stresses of most ecosystems
- Serves as a guide to both policies and practical steps to maintain ecosystems functioning
- Provides solutions to restore severely damaged ecosystems in a few years in places where no natural recovery has ever taken place
- Written by a global author team including contributors from Albania, Australia, Belize, Canada, China, France, Germany, Indonesia, Italy, Jamaica, Maldives, Panama, Sudan, Sweden, Thailand, and the United States
- Includes a CD containing full color images from the book, additional illustrations, and video
Innovative Methods of Marine Ecosystem Restoration offers a ray of hope in an increasingly gloomy scenario. This book is the first presentation of revolutionary new methods for restoring damaged marine ecosystems. It discusses new techniques for greatly increasing the recruitment, growth, survival, and resistance to stress of marine ecosystems, fisheries, and eroding shorelines, maintaining biodiversity and productivity where it would be lost. The book provides experimental proof that mild electrical stimulation results in increased settlement, increased growth, and reduced mortality for a wide variety of marine organisms, including corals, oysters, sponges, sea-grasses, and salt-marsh grasses. In addition to the diversity of ecosystems and geographic regions covered, the contributors from fourteen nations across the globe make this work the first truly global study of marine ecosystem restoration.